FOOD LURE--Teaching the puppy a food lure first will help with all the other skills.
1. Place several treats in your hand and close it.
2. Place closed hand on the puppy’s nose and let him sniff.
3. Slowly move your closed hand (keep it level with puppy’s nose) in a way that gets him to more forward with your hand.
4. Watch for the puppy’s nose to be “attached” to your hand; say “GOOD” and open hand so puppy can eat the treats.
5. If the puppy’s nose falls away from your hand, give a No Reward Marker(NRM) and turn away from the puppy.
6. If the puppy uses his teeth on your hand, give a NRM and quickly move your hand away. You want the puppy to learn that he should never put teeth on a human.
7. If the puppy paws at your closed hand, give a NRM and quickly move your hand away. Offer the closed hand again, and if he sniffs it without pawing at it, give him the treats.